Ellendale Area Community Foundation
About the Ellendale Area Community Foundation
The Ellendale Area Community Foundation was established in 1998 by a gift from Frank Larson of Starion Bank. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in the Ellendale area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Ellendale Area Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
Aaron Tschosik (Chair)
PO Box 99
Ellendale, ND 58436
Send an Email
or contact Kara Geiger with the North Dakota Community Foundation.
Apply for a Grant from the Ellendale Area Community Foundation
1. Ellendale Area Community Foundation makes grants only to those organizations designated by the IRS code as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit tax exempt groups or government agencies. Grants to religious organizations are limited to non-religious projects and programs, such as community food pantry or daycare. If you are unsure whether your organization qualifies to apply, please contact Kara at 701-222-8349.
2. Application needs to be filled out describing the organization, the project, the approximate project cost, and the amount requested from the Foundation. Grants do not normally exceed $2,000.00. Applications must be received by March 15 each year. The deadline may be extended at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
3. We may not fund entire projects.
4. Fundraising is typically done in the fall or winter. The committee reviews applications in April. If the committee has not notified you by May 1, you will know that your project was not chosen at this time.
5. In considering a request the committee will consider:
a. Organization’s management and integrity.
b. Level of local involvement and support.
c. The number of people to be served and the impact of the project on the community.
d. The impact of the grant on the success of the project.
e. The extent to which the project reflects a new approach to a problem.
f. Low priority will be given for daily operational requests.
6. Prioritizing requests
a. Board will look at each project on its merits.
b. Low priority will be given to projects supported by government, or which in the committee's opinion, should be funded by taxes.
c. No grants outside a 40 mile radius of Ellendale.
d. No grants to individuals.
e. Grants will not be concentrated in a single community, except the city of Ellendale will receive a higher consideration because of population as well as being the headquarters for serving other surrounding communities.
Deadline: March 15
Download an application form and return completed application to
Ellendale Area Community Foundation
PO Box 99
Ellendale, ND 58436
Grants Awarded by the Ellendale Area Community Foundation in 2016
- Ellendale Area Arts Council - $2,000 for summer concerts in the park
- Ellendale Historical Society - $1,500 for the historic walking tour
- Ellendale Park District - $7,122 for to replace the wading pool
- Ellendale Park District - $2,000 replace the pool chlorination system
- Ellendale Police Department - $500 to update equipment
- Ellendale Public Library - $2,000 for new books
- Kedish House - $500 to for storage for donated items
- O.P.E.R.A. - $2,000 for balcony stablization .
- Dickey County Fair Board - $2,000 for shade structures for the fairgrounds
- Ellendale Community Food Pantry - $439 for shelving units for the food pantry
- Ellendale Community Ambulance - $3,780 for AED replacements
The North Dakota Community Foundation also administers the following funds in the Ellendale area:
Ellendale Area Scholarship
The Ellendale Area Scholarship Fund was established in 2003 by a gift from the local Dollars for Scholars group. The initial primary purpose of the Fund will be to financially assist students from the Ellendale School District further their education.
Helen & Ed Leiby Memorial Scholarship In Science and Mathematics
The fund was established in 1985 by Edwin Leiby in memory of his parents, Helen & Ed Leiby. The scholarship will assist a graduating senior from the Ellendale High School.
Jean E. Crabtree Memorial Scholarship
The Jean E. Crabtree Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 2000 by her family and friends. Graduating seniors from Ellendale High School may apply for the scholarship.
Kyla Morehead Memorial Scholarship
The fund was established in 1998 by family and friends of Kyla Morehead who passed away of natural causes on February 8, 1998 at the age of 24. The scholarship will financially assist those students from Ellendale High School who are dedicated and achieving high standards with their extra effort.
Leo Billey Memorial Scholarship
The Leo Billey Scholarship Fund was established with a gift from the estate of Leo Billey who passed away in 2005.
Muriel Crabtree Music Scholarship
The fund was established in 1983 in memory of Muriel Crabtree Thorberg Meyer, a former resident of Ellendale, by her family and friends. The scholarship will assist a graduating senior from Ellendale High School who shows talent in music and is desirous of pursuing a college degree in that field of study.
Tiny & Joyce Gebhardt Scholarship
The Tiny & Joyce Gebhardt Scholarship was established in 2008 by both Tiny & Joyce. Graduating seniors from Ellendale High School may apply for the scholarship.
Bill & Leona Meyer Fund
Established in 2000 by a generous gift from the Meyer family. The purpose of the fund is to provide grants to deserving charities in the Ellendale, ND area.
Dickey County Disaster Relief Fund
This fund was established to assist with the long term disaster needs of Dickey County.
Ellendale Community Non-Endowment Fund
Established in 1998 to support Ellendale area grants
Ellendale Farmers Union Scholarship Fund
Established in 2012, the Ellendale Farmers Union Scholarship Fund will support a scholarship for a worthy Ellendale School graduate.
Ellendale Health Care Fund
Established in 2006 by the Dickey County Memorial Hospital Association, this fund is intended to provide for the immediate and acute medical needs of organizations in the Ellendale area.
Ellendale Public School Alternate Projects Fund
This fund was established in 2010 for the benefit of the Ellendale Public School. This project fund will help to meet the current needs of the School.
Ellendale Public Schools Foundation Fund
Established in 2009, this endowment fund to allow donors to make tax-deductible contributions to enhance the quality of education at the Ellendale Public Schools.
Copyright © 2016 North Dakota Community Foundation