The Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock (HMB) “Uncle T’s” Community Foundation was established in 2019 by his sister Yvonne Ranschler and the Dahl family. The Ranschler and Dahl families have been a part of the HMB community since the early 1900’s. Yvonne wanted to do something that would benefit the HMB communities and thank them for being a part of her brother’s extended family for many years. The Dahl family wanted to also make a contribution to the fund in memory of their family members: Kelly, Roger, Robert, Arne & Anetha (Ranschler), and Math & Ragna Dahl. Theodore Ranschler (Uncle T) is known as HMB’s Uncle, and his family wanted to acknowledge this by establishing a permanent endowment fund in his name. Earnings from the fund will be given as grants to support HMB area nonprofits that work in the education, community improvement and quality of life areas.
The Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock (HMB) “Uncle T’s” Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually. If you are interested in joining us to help build the fund, please contact us!
Jared Vander Wal
Ways to Give
You can give by cash, check, stock, partial gift of insurance, real-estate, collections, equipment, or even ag commodities.
Individuals who give at least $5,000 and businesses that give any amount may take a 40% income tax credit for gifts to the HMB "Uncle T's" Community Foundation. Restrictions apply, so please visit our tax credit page to learn more.
Set up a gift in your estate plans. Make a specific, percentage, or residual designation in your will/trust or as a partial beneficiary of a retirement fund or insurance to create a simple legacy gift.
Regardless of the type of gift, requests for anonymity will always be honored. Please contact NDCF directly if you would like to make an anonymous gift.
For more information about the Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock (HMB) “Uncle T’s” Community Foundation, please contact Development Director Kara Geiger at 701-222-8349 or Kara@NDCF.net.
Donate to the fund online using the link above, or mail a check to:
North Dakota Community Foundation
PO BOX 387
Bismarck, ND 58502
Please write HMB Community Foundation in the memo line of the check.
Certain donations may qualify for a generous ND state income tax credit.
The Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock “Uncle T’s” Community Foundation has awarded $1,866 in 3 grants since its inception in 2019. Recent grant awards are listed below.
2022 Grant Awards
- St. Katherine Parish Altar Society - $1,000 to buy a new lawn mower
- Hazelton Historical Society - $266 for maintenance of the museum and adjacent building
2021 Grant Award
- South Central Threshing Association - $600 for Playground Equipment
Apply for a Grant
- Organizations must be recognized under IRS code 501(c)(3) to qualify for a grant. Any organization with an official relationship to city or state government (school, park district etc.) would also qualify.
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations that serve the communities within the HMB School District.
- Grants for day-to-day operations will receive a lower priority.
- Grants for multi-year requests (pledges) will not be made, however an organization may re-apply for a grant each year, provided all previous grant reporting was completed.
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- No grants shall be made to individuals.
- Grants shall be awarded annually at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
Deadline: May 31
How to Apply:
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock Community Foundation (HMBCF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the HMBCF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the HMBCF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Kara Geiger. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. You can reach Kara at 701-222-8349 or you can email her at Kara@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.