IRA Charitable Rollover
In 2015, Congress enacted and President Obama signed into law a permanent extension of the IRA charitable rollover. As a result, individuals age 70½ or older can make gifts of up to $100,000 directly from their IRA to the North Dakota Community Foundation, benefitting the North Dakota community or charity of their choice.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to the North Dakota Community Foundation
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the 50% deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Support your favorite North Dakota community or charity forever with a gift to their endowment fund, or contribute to our Statewide Greatest Needs Fund.
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to NDCF.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to NDCF to support the community or charity you desire. Please indicate which existing NDCF fund you wish your gift to support or let us know if you wish to create a new fund.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
If you have any questions about an IRA charitable rollover gift, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.