Clarence Johnson & Eunice Iwen Community Foundation for Arthur, ND
About the Clarence Johnson & Eunice Iwen Community Foundation
Established in 2005 through a generous gift from the Clarence Johnson & Eunice Iwen estate, this fund benefits youth and community projects and activies in the Arthur, ND area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The community foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
PO Box 101
Arthur, ND 58006
or contact Amy Stromsodt, NDCF Development Director, at 701-795-1531.
The Clarence Johnson & Eunice Iwen Community Foundation for Arthur ND has awarded over $3.7 million in 286 grants since its inception in 2005. Recent grant awards are listed below.
FALL 2021 GRANTS:
- Arthur Fire Dept - $28,059.47 New Tanker-Pumper Fire Truck
- BIO Girls - $3,000 Operational Support Northern Cass
- City of Arthur:
- $1,000 Boulevard Flags
- $3,500 Veterans Day & Christmas Tree Lighting
- $15,000 Water Shed Drainage Project
- $10,000 City Shop
- Community of Care - $5,000 General Operating Support
- Hunter Ambulance Service - $14,700 Portable Radios
- Northern Cass Dollars for Scholars - $5,000 Scholarships
- Northern Cass School District - $15,000 Safety & Security Project
- Clarence Johnson/Eunice Iwen Scholarship Fund - $5,000 Increase Scholarship Giving
SPRING 2021 GRANTS:
- Arthur Fire Department - $2,500 for Truck Repairs
- City of Arthur - $1,100 for Newsletter Wafer Applicator
- City of Arthur - $4,100 for Beautification & Community Recreation
- Clarence Johnson/Eunice Iwen Scholarship Fund - $5,000 for Scholarships
- Community of Care - $5,000 for Operating Support
- Hunter Ambulance Service - $50,000 for 4x4 Ambulance
- Job Development Authority of Arthur - $77,437 for JDA Loan Principal Reduction
- Northern Cass Dollars for Scholars - $5,000 for Scholarships
FALL 2020 GRANTS:
- Arthur Cemetery Association - $1,000 for Marker and Cemetery Beautification
- BIO Girls, INC - $5,000 to support the Northern Cass BIO Girls (Beauty Inside and Out) program
- City of Arthur - $5,000 toward annual tree lighting and Veteran's Day events
- City of Arthur - $5,000 toward purchase of a utility dump trailer
- Community of Care - $10,000 for general operating
- JDA of Arthur - $2,745 toward purchase of a new cooler for the cafe
- JDA of Arthur - $5,000 for a new digital sign for the station
- JDA of Arthur - $31,000 toward payment of debt on original mall purchase
- JDA of Arthur - $14,390 for roof repairs
- Joint Arthur and Hunter Park District (Northern Cass Pass) - $30,000 toward completion of the Northern Cass Pass walking/bike path between Arthur and Hunter
- Northern Cass Dollars for Scholars - $3,000 toward scholarships for graduating seniors
- Rural Cass County Emergency Food Pantry - $1,500 to support the Northern Cass School backpack program
- Clarence Johnson and Eunice Iwen Scholarship Fund - $10,000 toward building a permanent scholarship named for Clarence and Eunice
SPRING 2020 GRANTS:
- Arthur Rural Fire Protection District - $7,600 to purchase new SCBA Masks
- Arthur Rural Fire Protection District - $10,296 toward purchase of new truck and hand held radios
- City of Arthur - $3,200 for Main Street Beautification and Community Recreation programs
- City of Arthur - $15,000 toward the renovation of Arthur Community Hall
- Community of Care - $5,000 for General Operating support
- Hunter Ambulance - $40,000 toward purchase of a 4X4 ambulance
- Hunter Volunteer Fire Department - $8,500 for equipment updates
- Joint Arthur/Hunter Park District - $15,000 to finish paving the Northern Cass Pass
- Northern Cass School - $11,000 for the Mental Health Wellness Initiative
- Northern Cass School - $2,000 toward STEM programming (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Northern Cass Dollars for Scholars - $5,000 for scholarships to graduating seniors
- JDA of Arthur - $2,700 to cover rent reductions due to COVID-19
- JDA of Arthur - $5,000 toward new wainscoting in the Mall
- Clarence Johnson & Eunice Iwen Scholarship Fund - $5,000 to build a named scholarship
FALL 2019 GRANTS:
- Arthur Cemetery Association - $1,500 for tree removal and maintenance of the cemetery
- BIO Girls, Inc - $2,000 to support a Northern Cass chapter of BIO Girls (Beautiful Inside and Out)
- City of Arthur - $10,000 for the final payment on Arthur signs at entrances to the city
- City of Arthur - $10,000 toward the purchase of additional lighting for the Community Christmas Tree and to pay for the meal for the Tree Lighting Event
- City of Arthur - $38,000 toward renovation of the Fire Hall and Community Center
- Community of Care - $5,000 to support programs
- JDA of Arthur - $15,000 toward payment of debt on the original mall purchase
- JDA of Arthur - $8,000 to replace overhead doors at the gas station
- JDA of Arthur - $7,500 to repair coolers at the cafe, bar and grocery store
- Joint Arthur and Hunter Park District (Northern Cass Pass) - $20,000 to pave approximately 4 miles of the trail
- Northern Cass Dollars for Scholars - $5,000 to support local scholarships to graduating seniors
- Northern Cass School District - $1,000 to help defray the expenses of the Northern Cass Hall of Fame Banquet
- Clarence Johnson and Eunice Iwen Scholarship Fund - $2,684 to build a named, endowed Scholarship in Memory of Clarence Johnson and Eunice Iwen
SPRING 2019 GRANT:
- City of Arthur - $48,000 for renovations to the Arthur Community Center & Fire Hall
- City of Arthur - $10,000 toward payment on Welcome to Arthur signs
- City of Arthur - $4,500 for City Beautification/flowers on Main Street and summer events for kids
- Dollars for Scholars, Northern Cass School - $5,000 toward scholarships for graduating seniors
- Hunter Volunteer Fire Department - $5,000 toward equipment upgrades and purchase of a new SCBA Unit
- Job Development Authority of Arthur - $4,500 toward repairs to the Mall building
- Job Development Authority of Arthur - $25,000 toward debt payment on the Mall Building
- Job Development Authority of Arthur - $10,000 toward maintenance and upkeep of the Arthur Gymnasium
- Job Development Authority of Arthur - $1,000 to replace lighting in the Mall
- Job Development Authority of Arthur - $3,000 for upgrades to Kelly's Cafe
- Northern Cass School District - $3,000 to students in Career & Community Leaders of America to attend a National Conference
- Rural Cass County Emergency Food Pantry - $2,000 to support the Northern Cass Backpack Program to feed needy families
How to Apply for a Grant
Organizations applying for grants from the Community Foundation for Arthur must meet the following guidelines:
- Grants will be limited to those organizations and/or projects that provide a direct service or benefit to the Arthur area as determined by the Advisory Board.
- Grants will made only to those organizations designated as a government entity or a non-profit, tax exempt group under IRS code 501(c)(3).
- Grants will not be made to individuals.
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- Low priority will be given to applications that will be funding day-to-day operations of an organization.
- Grants for requests of multi-year commitments will generally not exceed 5 years.
- Grants will be made twice each year with application deadlines of April 1 and October 1.
Other Granting Considerations
Advisory Board members will look at the following factors when making granting decisions:
- The impact of the grant on the success of the project
- The number of people benefiting from the project and the overall impact on the community
- Community financial and in-kind donations toward the project
- Organizational management and integrity of the organization
- Level of local involvement and support
**Applicants may be asked to appear before the granting committee to answer questions or clarify information in the application.
Deadlines: April 1 and October 1
To Apply for a Grant:
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Other Funds Managed by NDCF in Arthur, ND
Dorothy W. Burgum Non-Endowment Fund Established in 1999
Frederick & Jody Burgum Family Non-Endowment Fund Established in 1998
Northern Cass Education Foundation Established in 2000 by Northern Cass School for educational purposes.