About the Finley Community Endowment Fund
Established in 2002 to support charitable programs in the Finley, ND area, the Finley Community Endowment Fund is a permanent endowment fund that will support our area for years to come. Earnings from the fund are given as grants to support nonprofit projects or programs that work to improve our communities and quality of life.
The North Dakota Community Foundation, a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota law, provides professional management for the fund. Gifts to the fund are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of state and federal law.
The Finley Community Endowment Fund is led by a group of local volunteers that make grant decisions and fundraise to grow the fund.
Local Advisory Committee
Brian Tuite, Chair
Karla Neset, Secretary
c/o Bravera Bank
PO Box 255
Finley, ND 58230
or contact Amy Stromsodt, NDCF Development Director at 701-795-1531
The Finley Community Endowment Fund has awarded over $122,997 in 75 grants since its inception in 2002. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2023
- City of Finley - $2,000 Finley Days bulk mailers for advertising this community event
- Steele County Soil Conservation District - $3,000 Women's Ag Night
- Finley-Sharon Public Schools -
- $3,500 Missoula Children's Theatre Residency
- $2,500 Teacherage appliance improvements
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Finley Park Board - $5,000 Finley Park Playground Equipment Project
- Finley Wildlife Club - $4,000 for the Club's Bi-Annual Auction
- City of Finley - $1,997 for the 2023 Finley Days Celebration
Grants Awarded in 2021
- Finley Days Committee - $4,212.80 Finley's 125th Celebration
- Finley Park Board - $3,000 Park Reclamation Project
- Finley-Sharon Public School - $3,000 Greenhouse
Grants Awarded in 2020
- Finley Fire District 203 - $2,000 Finley Fire District Sign
- Finley Park Board - $3,012.86 Purchase Swimming Pool Heaters
- Finley-Sharon Public School - $1,500 School Greenhouse Project
- Finley-Sharon Public School - $1,500 Support After School Program
- Sharon Fire Department - $2,000 Sharon 125th Celebration & All School Reunion
Grants Awarded in 2019
- City of Finley - $2,000 Toward Purchase of New Mower
- City of Finley/Finley Days Committee - $2,200 to Repair Wind Damage to Large Tent
- Finley Public Library - $1,000 New Books
- Finley Wildlife Club - $2,200 Defray Expenses of Finley Wildlife Club Bi-Annual Auction
- Steele County Soil Conservation District - $1,000 Support Women in Ag Night
- Steele County Vintage Farming Club - $1,000 Support 5th Annual Finley-Sharon Plowing Bee
How to Apply for a Grant from the Finley Community Endowment Fund
- Area Foundation makes grants only to those organizations designated by the IRS Code 501(c)3 non-profit, tax exempt groups or public tax exempt organizations.
- Application needs to be filled out describing the organization, the project, the approximate project cost and the amount requested from the Foundation.
- We do not fund entire projects.
- In considering a request, the board will consider:
- Organization’s management and integrity
- Level of local involvement and support
- The number of people to be served and the impact of the project on the community
- The impact of the grant from the Foundation on the success of the project
- The extent to which the project reflects a new approach to a problem
- No grants for daily operational requests
- Prioritizing requests:
- Board will look at each project on its merits
- Low priority will be given to projects supported by government or could be funded by taxes
- No grants to individuals
- Grants will not be concentrated in a single community except the city of Finley. The city of Finley will receive higher consideration because of the population
Deadline: October 20
How to Apply
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Finley Community Endowment Fund (FCEF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the FCEF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the FCEF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Finley Community Endowment Fund committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Amy Stromsodt. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. Amy's cell is 701-741-3193 or you can email her at Amy@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Finley Community Endowment Fund in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Finley Community Endowment Fund, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.