Williston Area Community Foundation
Old Williston Main Street
About the Williston Area Community Foundation
The Williston Area Community Foundation was established in 2014. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in the Williston area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Williston Area Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
Additional members are being added please contact John Heinen if interested or would like to make a referal.
COMMITTEE CONTACT Click here Williston@ndcf.net
Po Box 1505
Dickinson, ND 58602
Since the Williston Area Community Foundation’s inception in 2014, & the George & Helen Christensen Family Charitable Fund in 2013, over $7,000 in 6 grants has been awarded. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grant Awarded in 2021: Dakota Children's Advocacy Center - $2,500 Child Abuse Outreach
Grant Awarded in 2020: Summit Counseling - $2,330 for COVID-19 Protection
Grants Awarded in 2019
- MonDak Gymnastics Support Group - $715.60 for Window & Door Replacement, Roof Repair
- Williston Council for the Aging - $1,073.40 for Northwest Dakota Public Transit Software & Vehicles
ONLINE GRANT OPEN JUNE 1st- July 28th
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grant Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Williston Area Community Foundation (WACF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to WACF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to WACF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Williston Area Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner John Heinen. He has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. John's cell is 701-590-4614 or you can email him at John@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Williston Area Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Williston Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.