About the Oakes Area Community Foundation
Established in 1998 by a grant from Mr. Frank Larson, the Oakes Area Community Foundation is a permanent endowment fund that can support charitable projects in the Oakes area for years to come. Earnings from the fund are given as grants to support nonprofit projects or programs in the area that work to improve our community and quality of life.
The Oakes Area Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteer citizens whose primary activities are building the fund and recommending grants each year.
Local Advisory Committee
PO Box 571
Oakes, ND 58474
The Oakes Area Community Foundation has awarded over $153,000 in 108 grants since its inception in 1998. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2020
- Growing Small Towns - $5,000 toward Main Street Building Renovation project
- Bear Creek Roughriders - $1,784 to install electricity and lights to the west side of BCR Arena
- Hospice of the Red River Valley - $1,500 to support Bereavement services
- Dickey County Master Gardeners - $1,500 to construct a pergola in the Healing Garden
- Oakes Golden Age Club - $1,500 to paint the dining room and bathrooms and replace vinyl baseboard at the Oakes Senior Center
- SRCTC DECA - $750 to purchase School Based Enterprise Equipment
- Tiny Tornadoes Daycare - $2,284 for renovations/repairs to the Daycare Kitchen
Grants Awarded in 2019
- CHI Oakes Hospital Foundation - $500 for Community Healthcare Education
- Dickey County Master Gardeners - $1,000 toward a Healing Garden
- Friends of Fine Arts and Academics - $1,500 to purchase acoustical shells for Oakes Public School Band and Choir
- Guelph Community Development Association, Inc - $1,000 to replace broken windows
- Hospice of the Red River Valley - $1,000 to support bereavement services for the Oakes area
- Oakes Area Chamber of Commerce - $1,500 for Garland and Wreaths for Main Ave
- Oakes Girl Scout Troop 30010 - $3,000 to support Park Renovation Gold Projects for Megan Rodine and Aubrei Steiner
- Oakes Golf Club - $2,757 for bridge and irrigation enhancements
- Oakes/Sargent Central/Ellendale FFA - $1,000 for High Tunnels in Education program
- Tiny Tornadoes Daycare - $1,000 to purchase individual cubbies for personal belongings
Grants Awarded in 2018
- Tiny Tornado Day Care - $1,000 toward day care staff training
- Oakes Parent Teacher Organization - $1,000 for new PTO seed money
- Oakes Public Schools - $2,000 for Leadership Class, restoration of Westside Park Project
- City of Oakes - $1,990 toward bleacher replacement
- City of Fullerton - $1,000 for Fullerton Park tree replacement project
- City of Guelph - $2,000 to the Guelph Betterment Association to refinish gymnasium floor
- Oakes Scouts - $2,500 for an Eagle Scout project for a library sign at the school
- South Central Dakota Regional Council - $1,000 toward the Child Care Initiative Project
- Oakes Community Hospital Foundation - $1,000 for patient room upgrades
Apply for a Grant from the Oakes Area Community Foundation
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations and/or projects within the city of Oakes and a 25 mile radius around the city.
- Generally, grants shall not exceed $1,000
- Grants to religious organizations shall be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- According to IRS guidelines, the Oakes Area Community Foundation shall not make grants to individuals. Organizations receiving a grant must be nonprofit or a government entity, such as a school or park district.
- The Oakes Area Community Foundation will accept grant applications in the fall of each year.
In funding decisions, the Advisory Committee will consider:
- Each project on the merits of the project
- Organizational management and integrity
- Level of local involvement and community support, to include fundraising
- Degree to which the organization can demonstrate successful attempts to leverage monies through other granting agencies or programs
- The number of residents served and the overall impact on the community
- Innovative solutions or a new approach to an existing or recurring problem
- Degree to which the Oakes Area Community Foundation grant will affect the success of the projec
Deadline: October 31
New for 2019 and Beyond:
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
The North Dakota Community Foundation also administers the following funds in the Oakes area:
Leo Billey Memorial Scholarship
The Leo Billey Scholarship Fund was established with a gift from the estate of Leo Billey who passed away in 2005. Leo Billey farmed near Ellendale in Dickey County. He left his real estate to establish this fund to assist students from Oakes and Ellendale High Schools to pursue higher education.
Ray & Hazel Wuolu Memorial Scholarship
Established by the family of Ray & Hazel Wuolu in 2011. This fund will provide a scholarship to a deserving Oakes High School Graduate.
Brian Meehl Memorial Scholarship Fund
This fund was established in 2011 by the Family of Brian Meehl to provide assistance to deserving student from Oakes Public Schools.
Rick & Nancy Warner Bigler Scholarship Fund
This fund was established in 2011 to provide scholarship assistance to students from the Oakes Area. The Rick and Nancy Warner Bigler Scholarship is to be awarded annually to an Oakes High School Senior in good standing to assist the recipient with the expenses related to a higher education experience.
Max Zelenak Scholarship Fund
Established in 2002 to provide scholarship assistance to an eligible Oakes, ND high school senior.
First State Bank of ND Scholarship Fund
Established in 2006 to provide scholarship assistance to eligible Oakes, ND high school seniors.
Oakes VFW Scholarship Fund
Established in 2009 by the Oakes VFW Club to provide scholarship assistance to eligible Oakes, ND high school seniors.
Dickey County Disaster Relief Fund
This fund was established to assist with the long term disaster needs of Dickey County.
Oakes Area Foundation Billboard Fund
Established in 2000 to support the Billboard project in Oakes
Oakes Community Non-Endowment Fund
Established in 1998 to support Oakes area grants
Oakes Public School Endowment Fund
Established in 1999 to benefit the Oakes Public School system.
Oakes Public Schools Music Booster Fund
Established in 2002 to provide assistance to solely benefit band programs at the Oakes Public Schools.
Oakes School Playground Non-Endowment Fund
Established in 2000 to support the Playground project at Oakes School
Oakes Swimming Pool Non-Endowment Fund
Established in 2000 to support the Oakes Swimming Pool