About the Golden Valley County Community Foundation
The Golden Valley County Community Foundation (GVCCF) was established by a group of residents concerned about the lack of funding for local organizations. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in Golden Valley County. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Golden Valley County Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
HELPING US BUILD THE FUND: In order for the fund to have a bigger impact in the community, we invite those in the region to make some sort of a gift. Please refer to the "other information" tab for a report and brochure to find out more. Or please call one of us on the committee. We would be happy to answer any questions.
FUNDING: (make a gift by clicking on the link) Committee work is supported by the fund(s) listed to which donors can give and help us in our mission to serve the community.
ENDOWMENT: Is the primary fund, and Qualifies for 40% ND Tax Credit. (click on link for requirements) Roughly 4% of funds are put to work in the community used annually as "grants".
NDCF is the support system for GVCCF with over 40 years providing comprehensive charitable services to ND. This includes donor gift planning and bequest planning for individuals, company leaders, families, and non-profits, and fiduciary services such as accounting, audit and money management. This allows local volunteer committees to focus on telling their story of their foundation impact through marketing, granting, and growing the fund.
Local Advisory Committee
- Dee Baertsch (Chair)
- Dan Farstveet
- Lisa Gerving
- Michelle Hardy
- Kim Gaugler
- Don Hardy
- JoAnne Tescher
NDCF: For anonymous giving, gift planning, or unique asset gifts. contact John Heinen NDCF Western ND Support or call (701) 590-4614
Please find attached various materials which you can download for your own or to pass along to a family member or friend. Help get the word out about the fund, helps the fund grow and serve the community in a bigger way.
The Golden Valley County Community Foundation has awarded over $30,000 in 21 grants since its inception in 2008. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Golva Rural Fire Protection District: $1,325 for new wildland gear
- Beach City Park Board: $1,325 for baseball field dugout covers
- Golden Valley County Library: $1,250 for the Imagination Library program
Grants Awarded in 2021
- Golden Valley County Historical Society: $1,468 Paint Schoolhouse, Fix Gutters/Garage Door
- Golva Park Board: $2,000 W.P. Building & Park Renovations
Grants Awarded in 2020
- Beach City Park Board: $2,500 Hwy 10 Playground Upgrade
- Golva Fire Protection District: $662 Air Quality Masks
Grant Awarded in 2019 - Beach City Park Board: $2,883 for the South Baseball Field Renovation
ONLINE GRANT APPLICATION DUE JUNE 1st - JUNE 30th
- Grants shall be awarded only to those organizations designated by the IRS Code as 501(c)(3) nonprofit tax exempt groups, or government agencies. Groups without such designation seeking to apply may enlist a fiscal sponsor. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at NDCF for more information.
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations within Golden Valley County (and surrounding communities, at the discretion of the Advisory Committee).
- Grants to religious organizations shall be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- Application forms will be available online at www.NDCF.net/GoldenValleyCounty and may also be available in hard copy format, at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
- Extensions may be granted at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
- Organizations that serve Youth, Senior Citizens, Leadership, and Community Development
- Projects or programs that benefit a greater number of residents
- Requests that demonstrate applicant will seek or has secured other funding sources
- Requests for multiple-year funding
- The following will NOT be considered:
- Requests for operating funds or day-to-day expenses
- Requests for grants or scholarships for individuals
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grant Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Step 4 -- Bookmark the address so when returning you can easily access. Or access with button above.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Golden Valley County Community Foundation (GVCCF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to GVCCF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to GVCCF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Golden Valley County Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner John Heinen. He has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. John's cell is 701-590-4614 or you can email him at John@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Golden Valley County Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Golden Valley County Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.