Harvey Area Community Foundation
- Grant History
- Apply for a Grant
- Leave a Legacy
The Harvey Area Community Foundation was established in 2008 by a group of residents concerned about the lack of funding for local organizations. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in the Harvey area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Harvey Area Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
120 W 8th St.
Harvey, ND 58341
Development Director, NDCF
The Harvey Area Community Foundation has awarded over $92,000 in 69 grants since its inception in 2008. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Harvey Ambulance Service, Inc. - $3,550 for a permanent generator for the Harvey Ambulance Service and Central Dakota Food Pantry
- Central Cinema Theater - $2,500 for sound project
- HWC Booster Club - $2,500 for football field paint sprayer
- Harvey Public Schools - $370 for an arts printing unit
Grants Awarded in 2021
- City of Harvey - $5,945 Centennial Nature Park West Pathway
- Harvey Kiwanis Club - $2,444 Toddler Playset Project
COVID-19 Grant Awarded in 2020
- Harvey Ambulance Service - $3,000 for Cardiac Monitor Replacement
Grants Awarded in 2020
- City of Harvey - $3,000 for Cent Park West
- Harvey School District 38 Elementary Art Department - $500 for Arts Organization Updates
- HARVEY YOUTH FOOTBALL, INC DBA HWC STINGERS - $800 for HWC STINGERS
- St. Aloisius Medical Center - $1,061 for Defibrillators for Emergency Department
Grants awarded in 2019
- Central Cinema Theater - $2,000 for Sound System upgrade
- City of Harvey - $1,900 for Harvey Centennial Nature Park West Pathway
- Harvey Ambulance Service, Inc. - $3,000 for Harvey Ambulance Vehicle Replacement Fund
- Harvey School District 38 Elementary Art Department - $500 for Arts and literature for the 21st Century Learner
- St. Aloisius Medical Center - $700 for Harvey Cardiac Ready Community
Apply for a Grant
• Grants shall be awarded only to those organizations designated by the IRS Code as 501(c)(3) nonprofit tax exempt groups, or government agencies.
• Grants shall be awarded to organizations within Harvey and surrounding communities, as determined by the Advisory Committee.
• Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
• Applications shall be due September 30 of each year. The deadline may be extended at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
• Projects or programs that benefit a greater number of residents
• Requests that demonstrate applicant will seek or has secured other funding sources
• Requests for operating funds or day-to-day expenses
• Requests for multiple-year funding
Deadline: September 30
How to Apply
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Click here for more detailed instructions and tips for using our online grant system.
Leave Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Harvey Area Community Foundation (HACF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to HACF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to HACF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Harvey Area Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Kara Geiger. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. You can reach Kara at 701-222-8349 or you can email her at Kara@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Harvey Area Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Harvey Area Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.