Established in 1980 to support Carrington area community projects, the Carrington Community Endowment Fund provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to worthwhile projects. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Carrington Community Endowment Fund is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Development Director, NDCF
Annual Reports and other materials
Since the Carrington Community Endowment Fund’s inception in 1980 and the McGinn-Kunkel Estate Fund in 1988, over $422,000 in grants have been awarded. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Carrington Area Healthy Communities Coalition: $10,000 for the West End Park Renovation
- Caring-Ton Child Care Center, Inc. - $2,000 for Curriculum
- Carrington Youth Center:
- $4,750 for an indoor playground
- $2,400 for Central City Lanes
- Central Dakota Sportsmens Club: $2,500 for the renovation of the Carrington Public Rifle Range
- Dollars for Scholars - Carrington Area: $2,000 for their scholarship fund
- BIO Girls: $1,055 for the 2023 BIO Girls program in Carrington
Grants Awarded in 2021
- BIO Girls - $1,060 for BIO Girls Carrington-New Rockford
- Caring-Ton Child Care Center, Inc. - $3,000 for Curriculum & Supplies
- Carrington Youth Sports - $9841.19 for Ball Diamond Renovations
- Foster County Fair Board - $2,000 for Portable Stage
- Foster County Historical Society/Putnam House - $2,000 for Column Replacement
- Carrington City Library - $2,000 for Summer Reading Staffing
Grants Awarded in 2020
- BIO Girls - $1,000 for BIO Girls Carrington-New Rockford
- Caring-Ton Child Care Center - $5,000 for Class Room Update
- Carrington Medical Center - $1,500 for Safe Patient Movement Equipment
- Carrington Park District - $5,000 for Baseball/Softball Diamond Expansion
- Foster County Historical Society - $5,500 for Revive the Museum
- Carrington Youth Center - $1,950 for Bathroom
- Friends of the Carrington City Library - $1,950 for Collection Development
Grants Awarded in 2019
- Carrington Cemetery Board - $3,998 for Tree Replacement
- Carrington Medical Center - $4,500 for Decontamination Supplies
- Carrington Youth Center - $2,706 Concession Stand
- CrossRoads Golf Club - $1,000 for Summer Youth Golf Camp
- Friends of the Carrington City Library - $1,800 for Computer Lab Makeover
- Central Dakota Sportsmen's Club - $750 for WAHLU
- Foster County Historical Society - $3,000 for Preserving the Museum
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations designated as a non-profit, tax exempt organization under IRS Code 501(c)3 or to government agencies that serve the community of Carrington.
- Low priority will be given to grants requesting funds for day-to-day operations.
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- To be considered for the current grant round, organizations must submit a completed application by March 15 of each year. The Advisory Committee may approve a second round of funding for the year. If a second round of funding takes place, the deadline will be announced.
In funding decisions, the board will consider the following:
- Organizational management and integrity
- Level of local involvement and support
- The number of people to be served
- The impact of the grant on the success of the project
- Multiple requests from a single organization in a given year may impact funding for one or all requests.
- Previous grantees may not be considered for subsequent funding if a final grant report was not received.
Deadline: March 15
How to Apply
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Play Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Carrington Community Endowment Fund (CCEF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the CCEF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the CCEF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Carrington Community Endowment Fund committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Kara Geiger. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. You can reach Kara at 701-222-8349 or you can email her at Kara@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Carrington Community Endowment Fund in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Carrington Community Endowment Fund, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.