About the Park River Community Endowment Fund
The Park River Community Endowment Fund was established in 1983 to make grants for community projects in the Park River area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Park River Community Endowment Fund is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
Dan Stenvold (Chair)
PO Box C
514 Briggs Ave S
Park River, ND 58270
or contact Amy Stromsodt, NDCF Development Director, at 701-795-1531.
Since the Park River Community Endowment Fund’s inception in 1983, & the Chris Rostvet Memorial Fund in 1999, over $318,600 in 186 grants has been awarded. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Hillcrest Country Club - $7,800 for course improvements
- Northeast North Dakota Pioneer Machinery Association - $6,000 to reroof the Minto building
- City of Park River - $5,000 for a media and sound system
- Edinburg Playground Project/Edinburg City Park - $3,000 for the Edinburg Playground Project
- BIO Girls - $1,500 for the 2023 program in Park River
- Chris Rostvet Memorial Fund - $500 Scholarships
- Save The Fountain Committee - $1,177.53 to preserve WCTU Fountain
Grants Awarded in 2021
- American Legion Paul Farup Post 147 - $7,650 Grade & Pave Parking Lot
- Hillcrest Country Club - $5,000 Cart Storage Repair/Restoration
- Kiddie Korner Preschool & Daycare - $5,000 Security Camera Installation
- Park River Volunteer Fire Dept. - $2,500 Safety Tools
- Chris Rostvet Memorial Fund - $500 Scholarships
- Save The Fountain Committee - $2,411 Preserve WCTU Fountain
Grants Awarded in 2020
- Kiddie Korner Preschool & Daycare, Inc. - $3,000 - offset costs of reduced revenue due to COVID-19
- American Legion Paul Farup Post #147 - $5,000 - American Legion Post #147 Monument Sign
- BIO Girls - $500 - Support for the BIO Girls (Beauty Inside and Out) program
- City of Lankin - $4,750 - Updates to the Silver Dollar Community Center
- Hillcrest Country Club, Inc. - $5,000 - Cart storage preservation
- Kiddie Korner Preschool & Daycare, Inc. - $1,500 - Improvements to facility
- Park River Area Public School - $800 - Alumni Room projector replacement
- Park River Volunteer Fire Department - $1,400 - purchase of new safety equipment
Grants Awarded in 2019
- City of Park River - $5,000 toward the American Legion Coliseum Kitchen Project
- City of Park River - $5,000 to update the entryway of City Hall
- Kiddie Korner Preschool & Daycare Inc. - $5,000 for appliance and sign updates
- Park River Area Public School - $5,000 for a wheelchair lift replacement
- Park River Area Public School - $350 for a scholarship in the name of Chris Rostvet
How to Apply for a Grant from the Park River Community Endowment Fund
- Organizations must have a current 501(c)3 tax status or have an official relationship to local government (school, park district etc.).
- Low priority will be given to those seeking funding for day-to-day operations.
- High priority will be given to those projects in which the PRCEF can be a partner and help attract other resources.
Deadline: June 10
How to Apply:
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Other Funds Managed by NDCF in Park River
Scholarships for Students from Park River
Dean & Eleanor Miller Memorial Scholarship: The Dean and Elaneaor Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by Linda Larson in loving memory of her parents. The Fund will financially assist students from Park River, ND High School and/or Fordville-Lankin, ND High School to further their education.
Lloyd & Martha Haas Scholarship Fund: Established with a gift from the estate of Lloyd Haas to assist Walsh County, North Dakota students who wish to study in field of medicine/nursing and who express an interest in returning to Walsh County to work.
Park River Scholarship: The Fund was established in 1994 by Larry Houser of the First United Bank of Park River and Claude Sheldon, Superintendent of the Park River Schools at the time the fund was established.
Theo Torgerson Memorial Scholarship: The Theo Torgerson Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 1985 through the Will of Mr. Torgerson who was a resident of Park River, to financially assist students from Walsh County attending a public supported post secondary institution in North Dakota and who will be in the last two years of the educational process.
Victor & Verna Johnson Scholarship: The Victor and Verna Johnson Scholarship Fund was established with a gift from the Verna Johnson Estate in the year 2008. The Fund will financially assist students from Walsh County North Dakota to continue their education.
Other Funds from Park River
Arden Burbidge Fund: Established in 1978 by Arden Burbidge to support the work of the North Dakota Community Foundation
Mary E. Finley Endowment Fund for Seniors of Walsh County: Established in 1996 by the estate of Mary E. Finley to support senior programs in Walsh County
First Care Health Center Endowment Fund: Established in 1998 to support the St. Ansgar's Hospital, now First Care Health Center, in Park River, ND.
Gustavus Adolphus Cemetery Fund: Established in 2002 by Harold & Susan Bergquist to support the Gustavus Adolphus Cemetery in Walsh County.
Hankey Family Charitable Fund: This fund was established in 2012 to provide support to organizations that fit the charitable goals of the Hankey Family.
John & Anna Mae Hankey Charitable Fund: Established in 2012, the fund will support worthwhile charitable organizations.
Northeast Regional Education Fund: Established in 1992 to improve and promote education in the Northeast North Dakota area.
Mary Ann Pecka Memorial Fund: Established in 1999 to support the upkeep and maintenance of the historic St. Mark's Catholic Cemetery located at Conway, ND.
Chris Rostvet Memorial Fund: Established in 1999 by family and friends in loving memory of Chris Rostvet who attended college in Bottineau and was planning to attend the University of North Dakota. The Chris Rosvet Memorial Fund is a sub-fund of the Park River Community Endowment Fund.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Park River Area Community Endowment Fund (PRACEF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the PRACEF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the PRACEF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Park River Area Community Endowment Fund committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Amy Stromsodt. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. Amy's cell is 701-741-3193 or you can email her at Amy@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Park River Area Community Endowment Fund in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Park River Area Community Endowment Fund, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.