Cavalier Community Foundation
About the Cavalier Community Foundation
The Cavalier Community Foundation was established in 2005 to support charitable programs in the Cavalier, ND area. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in the Cavalier area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Cavalier Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
c/o Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 271
Cavalier, ND 58220
or contact Amy Stromsodt (701-795-1531), Development Director with NDCF.
Apply for a Grant from the Cavalier Community Foundation
- Grants shall be limited to organizations that serve the community of Cavalier
- Grants will generally not exceed $1000
- The Cavalier Community Foundation will not provide funding for day-to-day operations
- Grants will be given on an annual basis. Multi-year grants will not be funded
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community
- The Cavalier Community Foundation will not fund entire projects
- Applications must be received by April 30th
- Grant awardees will be notified by June 15th of each year as to funding status
In funding decisions, the board will consider the following:
- Organizational management and integrity
- Level of local involvement and support
- The number of Cavalier residents to be served
- The impact of the grant on the success of the project
- Community need
To Apply: Download the application form and mail completed form to:
c/o Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 271
Cavalier, ND 58220
Application Deadline: April 30th
Grants Awarded by the Cavalier Community Foundation
- Cavalier Area Chamber of Commerce - $250 to print a new community brochure
- Cavalier PTO - $400 to help defray expenses of Missoula Children's Theater 2020
- City of Cavalier - $1,100 toward purchase of a swim platform, pickleball set, splash pond & portable youth pitching machine
- Faith in Action Health Coalition - $1,000 for travel stipends for volunteers
- Love One Another Now (L.O.A.N.) Program - $750 Money to purchase socks, underwear and bras for low income families
- Northeastern North Dakota Heritage Association - $1,000 toward the archive & artifact committee storage program
- Pembina County Historical Society - $600 to finish siding St. Anthony's Church Bell Tower
- Pembina County Imagination Library - $500 to support Dolly Parton Imagination Library which provides books to youth ages 0-5 yrs.
- Pembina County Public Health - $400 to support the Bright Futures Child Health Program
- Cavalier Public Schools - $1,000 playground safety and upkeep
- Cavalier Public Schools - $200 for signage for the McKechnie Outdoor Classroom Project
- City of Cavalier - $300 to purchase baseball bats for the summer baseball program
- City of Cavalier - $500 for updates to Main Street Pocket Park
- NE North Dakota Heritage Association - $600 for Library shelving and technology furniture
- Pembina County Emergency Medical Services Inc - $750 for Realistic Scenario training for EMS
- Pembina County Historical Society - $200 for a plaque for the Veteran's Memorial entrance
- Pembina County Imagination Library - $500 for books to Pembina County children ages 0-5 yrs
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $1,000 for Cardiac Ready Community program
- Missoula Children's Theatre (Cavalier PTO) - $700 for summer theatre production
- Pembina County Fair - $1,000 to construct a new livestock barn
- Pembina County Public Health - $500 for a "Drugs in Society" presentation
- Vidalin Cemetery Association - $350 toward a new furnace
- Music and Art in the Park (Cavalier Chamber of Commerce) - $750 for summer art in the park event
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $800 toward renovation of common area
- NE ND Heritage Association - $250 to defray costs of newsletter printing and postage
- Faith in Action Health Coalition - $1,000 for Volunteer Travel Stipends
- Missoula Children's Theater (Cavalier PTO) - $750 for summer theater
- Bathgate Recreation Re-Creation - $250 toward renovation of the local playground
- Domestic Violence and Abuse Center - $600 for car seats and emergency gas cards
- Pembina County Public Health - $500 for mental health first aid training for community partners
- L.O.A.N. Program (Love one another) - $750 for clothing and school supplies for under-privileged children
- Diamond Jubilee Foundation - $395 for a handicapped accessible door for Cavalier Public Library
- Cavalier Chamber of Commerce - $750 for Music and Art in the Park
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $750 toward purchase of a transport van
- Pembina County Historical Society Museum - $300 to help fund a 4'X8' Transportation Mural
- North East North Dakota Heritage Association - $300 toward printing and postage costs for a newsletter
Other Funds Managed by NDCF in the Cavalier Area
Alice Olson Byron Memorial Music Scholarship: The fund was established in 2010 with a gift from the family of Alice Olson Byron and the Alice Olson Memorial Fund, to assist students who have graduated from a Pembina County, ND high school to continue their post-secondary education. Preference will be given to students who are pursuing a music major, but anyone actively involved in music may qualify as well.
Margaret Geiger Green Memorial Scholarship: The fund was established in 1986 in memory of Margaret Geiger Green by her family. The scholarship will assist a graduating senior from the Cavalier High School. The award will be made after successful completion of the first term as a full time college student.
Andvari Hallson Cemetery Association Endowment Fund: Established in 2010 by the Andvari Hallson Cemetery Association to support the Historic preservation of the Andvari Hallson Cemetery.
Cavalier Community Clubhouse Project: Established in 2013.
Cav-Landic Trail Non-Endowment Fund: Established in 1999 in support of the Cav-Landic Trail in Cavalier
G.B. Gunlogson Estate Operating Endowment Fund: Established in 1995 by the estate of G. B. Gunlogson, a former North Dakotan, to support the work of the North Dakota Community Foundation
Icelandic State Park Fund: Established in 1986 by G. B. Gunlogson to support the Icelandic State Park
Laurel & Betty Koehn Family Charitable Endowment Fund: Established in 2012, to support the philanthropic goals of the Koehn family.
Pembina County Historical Society Endowment Fund: Established in 1992 to support the work of the Pembina County Historical Society.
Save Our Screen Fund: Established in 2012, the purpose of the Save Our Screen Fund is to provide monies for the costs associated with the renovation/upgrade of the historic Theatre in Cavalier. Grants from the fund will be used to update/preserve the historic Cinema Theater in Cavalier, ND.
Skuli Pall Benedictson Endowment Fund: Established in 1995 by the estate of Skuli Pall Benedictson in support of the Icelandic State Park.
South Pembina Cemetery Fund: Established in 1989 to maintain the historic South Pembina Cemetery.
St. Anthony's Church Endowment Fund: Established in 2008 in support of the St. Anthony's Church located on the Pembina County Museum grounds near Cavalier, ND.
Copyright © 2020 North Dakota Community Foundation