About the Cavalier Community Foundation
The Cavalier Community Foundation was established in 2005 to support charitable programs in the Cavalier, ND area. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in the Cavalier area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Cavalier Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
c/o Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 271
Cavalier, ND 58220
or contact Amy Stromsodt (701-795-1531), Development Director with NDCF.
Grants Awarded by the Cavalier Community Foundation
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $2,000 for COVID-19 related home services
- City of Cavalier - $1,200 - toward the baseball Field of Dreams renovation project
- Faith in Action Health Coalition - $1,000 to support Faith in Action activities
- Pembina County Imagination Library - $750 - to purchase books for youth ages 0-5 yrs in Pembina County
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $1,250 - to purchase a FAST (focused abdominal sonography for trauma) ultrasound machine
- Northeastern ND Heritage Association - $500 - for Archive and Artifact storage and display
- Cavalier Area Chamber of Commerce - $250 to print a new community brochure
- Cavalier PTO - $400 to help defray expenses of Missoula Children's Theater 2020
- City of Cavalier - $1,100 toward purchase of a swim platform, pickleball set, splash pond & portable youth pitching machine
- Faith in Action Health Coalition - $1,000 for travel stipends for volunteers
- Love One Another Now (L.O.A.N.) Program - $750 Money to purchase socks, underwear and bras for low income families
- Northeastern North Dakota Heritage Association - $1,000 toward the archive & artifact committee storage program
- Pembina County Historical Society - $600 to finish siding St. Anthony's Church Bell Tower
- Pembina County Imagination Library - $500 to support Dolly Parton Imagination Library which provides books to youth ages 0-5 yrs.
- Pembina County Public Health - $400 to support the Bright Futures Child Health Program
- Cavalier Public Schools - $1,000 playground safety and upkeep
- Cavalier Public Schools - $200 for signage for the McKechnie Outdoor Classroom Project
- City of Cavalier - $300 to purchase baseball bats for the summer baseball program
- City of Cavalier - $500 for updates to Main Street Pocket Park
- NE North Dakota Heritage Association - $600 for Library shelving and technology furniture
- Pembina County Emergency Medical Services Inc - $750 for Realistic Scenario training for EMS
- Pembina County Historical Society - $200 for a plaque for the Veteran's Memorial entrance
- Pembina County Imagination Library - $500 for books to Pembina County children ages 0-5 yrs
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $1,000 for Cardiac Ready Community program
- Missoula Children's Theatre (Cavalier PTO) - $700 for summer theatre production
- Pembina County Fair - $1,000 to construct a new livestock barn
- Pembina County Public Health - $500 for a "Drugs in Society" presentation
- Vidalin Cemetery Association - $350 toward a new furnace
- Music and Art in the Park (Cavalier Chamber of Commerce) - $750 for summer art in the park event
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $800 toward renovation of common area
- NE ND Heritage Association - $250 to defray costs of newsletter printing and postage
- Faith in Action Health Coalition - $1,000 for Volunteer Travel Stipends
- Missoula Children's Theater (Cavalier PTO) - $750 for summer theater
- Bathgate Recreation Re-Creation - $250 toward renovation of the local playground
- Domestic Violence and Abuse Center - $600 for car seats and emergency gas cards
- Pembina County Public Health - $500 for mental health first aid training for community partners
- L.O.A.N. Program (Love one another) - $750 for clothing and school supplies for under-privileged children
- Diamond Jubilee Foundation - $395 for a handicapped accessible door for Cavalier Public Library
- Cavalier Chamber of Commerce - $750 for Music and Art in the Park
- Pembina County Memorial Hospital Foundation - $750 toward purchase of a transport van
- Pembina County Historical Society Museum - $300 to help fund a 4'X8' Transportation Mural
- North East North Dakota Heritage Association - $300 toward printing and postage costs for a newsletter
Apply for a Grant from the Cavalier Community Foundation
- Grants shall be limited to organizations that serve the community of Cavalier
- The Cavalier Community Foundation will not provide funding for day-to-day operations
- Grants will be given on an annual basis. Multi-year grants will not be funded
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community
- The Cavalier Community Foundation will not fund entire projects
- Applications must be received by April 30th
- Grant awardees will be notified by June 15th of each year as to funding status
In funding decisions, the board will consider the following:
- Organizational management and integrity
- Level of local involvement and support
- The number of Cavalier residents to be served
- The impact of the grant on the success of the project
- Community need
Deadline: April 30
How to Apply:
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Other Funds Managed by NDCF in the Cavalier Area
Alice Olson Byron Memorial Music Scholarship: The fund was established in 2010 with a gift from the family of Alice Olson Byron and the Alice Olson Memorial Fund, to assist students who have graduated from a Pembina County, ND high school to continue their post-secondary education. Preference will be given to students who are pursuing a music major, but anyone actively involved in music may qualify as well.
Margaret Geiger Green Memorial Scholarship: The fund was established in 1986 in memory of Margaret Geiger Green by her family. The scholarship will assist a graduating senior from the Cavalier High School. The award will be made after successful completion of the first term as a full time college student.
Andvari Hallson Cemetery Association Endowment Fund: Established in 2010 by the Andvari Hallson Cemetery Association to support the Historic preservation of the Andvari Hallson Cemetery.
Cavalier Community Clubhouse Project: Established in 2013.
Cav-Landic Trail Non-Endowment Fund: Established in 1999 in support of the Cav-Landic Trail in Cavalier
G.B. Gunlogson Estate Operating Endowment Fund: Established in 1995 by the estate of G. B. Gunlogson, a former North Dakotan, to support the work of the North Dakota Community Foundation
Icelandic State Park Fund: Established in 1986 by G. B. Gunlogson to support the Icelandic State Park
Laurel & Betty Koehn Family Charitable Endowment Fund: Established in 2012, to support the philanthropic goals of the Koehn family.
Pembina County Historical Society Endowment Fund: Established in 1992 to support the work of the Pembina County Historical Society.
Save Our Screen Fund: Established in 2012, the purpose of the Save Our Screen Fund is to provide monies for the costs associated with the renovation/upgrade of the historic Theatre in Cavalier. Grants from the fund will be used to update/preserve the historic Cinema Theater in Cavalier, ND.
Skuli Pall Benedictson Endowment Fund: Established in 1995 by the estate of Skuli Pall Benedictson in support of the Icelandic State Park.
South Pembina Cemetery Fund: Established in 1989 to maintain the historic South Pembina Cemetery.
St. Anthony's Church Endowment Fund: Established in 2008 in support of the St. Anthony's Church located on the Pembina County Museum grounds near Cavalier, ND.