About the Galesburg Area Foundation
The Galesburg Area Foundation was established in 2012 to promote charitable work in Galesburg, North Dakota. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in Galesburg. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Galesburg Area Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Local Advisory Committee
Catherine Albert, Secretary
Galesburg Area Foundation
c/o Dakota Heritage Bank
PO Box 110
Galesburg, ND 58035
Or contact Amy Stromsodt, NDCF Development Director, at 701-741-3193.
The Galesburg Area Foundation has awarded over $27,000 in 22 grants since its inception in 2012. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2023
- Galesburg Park Committee/City of Galesburg:
- $3,908.94 for Bathroom Stalls for Galesburg Park Concession Building Bathrooms
- $450 for new Serving Window for Galesburg Park Concession Building
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Elm River Cemetery Association: $1,500 for cemetery maintenance
- Norman Lutheran Cemetery Association: $1,500 for cemetery repair and maintenance
- Stordahl Lutheran Church Cemetery: $1,500 for cemetery maintenance
Grants Awarded in 2021
- Galesburg Community Housing - $2,000 for Unit Upgrade with a Heat Pump
- Galesburg Part Committee - $2,000 Softball Field Dugout Benches & Cement Pads
Grants Awarded in 2020
- Elm River Cemetery Association - $1,300 for Cemetery Maintenance
- Norman Lutheran Cemetery Association - $1,300 for a New Cemetery Storage Shed
- Stordahl Lutheran Church Cemetery - $1,300 for Cemetery Maintenance
Grants Awarded in 2019
- Mayville Portland Clifford Galesburg Public School - $2,000 Building Greenhouse to Support Agriculture Program
- Hope Early Learning Center - $650 Electronic Educational Equipment, SmartTV & Diaper Changing Station
How to Apply for a Grant from the Galesburg Area Foundation
1. Makes grants only to those organizations designated as a non-profit, tax exempt organization under IRS Code 501(c)3 or to government agencies.
2. Makes grants to qualifying organizations in the city of Galesburg
How to Apply:
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Galesburg Area Foundation (GAF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the GAF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the GAF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Galesburg Area Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Amy Stromsodt. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. Amy's cell is 701-741-3193 or you can email her at Amy@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Galesburg Area Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Galesburg Area Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.