Help Us Grow Our Fund!
For Agricultural Producers:
The Hankinson Community Endowment Fund Advisory Committee is asking Agricultural Producers in and near Hankinson to consider gifting a portion of their harvest to the fund this year, to help establish the endowment fund.
Gifting a portion of your harvest is an easy way to provide support without having to open your checkbook. Plus, you don't have to claim the income from the sale and you can still deduct the cost of production for whatever you donate!
Simply print and fill out one of the donation cards below and give it to your broker, co-op, or elevator. They will take care of the rest and you will have made a difference, forever, in our community.
Thank you from all of us who are working to build a better Hankinson!
About the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund
Established in 2017 by a group of local citizens, the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund is a permanent endowment fund that will support worthwhile charitable programs in the Hankinson, North Dakota, area forever. It is a component fund of the North Dakota Community Foundation, a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota law.
The Hankinson Community Endowment Fund is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are raising awareness of the fund, building the fund, and recommending grant awards.
Local Advisory Committee
Hankinson Community Endowment Fund
PO Box 453
Hankinson, ND 58041
Contact Amy Warnke-Stromsodt at (701) 741-3193 or at Amy@NDCF.net
The Hankinson Community Endowment Fund has awarded $4,000 in 5 grants since its inception in 2017. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2022:
- Hankinson Community Betterment Club - $1,600 for the Depot Patio Development Project
Grants Awarded in 2021:
- Hankinson Community Betterment Club - $800 Bread & Roses Dinner Show
- Hankinson Park Board - $600 North Park Playground
Grants Awarded in 2020:
- Hankinson Park District - $500 for Community Skating Rink
- Hankinson Public Library - $500 to support the Coding Club
Apply for a Grant from the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund
Eligible entities must be recognized under IRS Code 501(c)3 as a charitable, tax exempt organization as well as schools, park districts and those organizations with a formal city government relationship. Community projects lacking the proper tax status may employ a fiscal sponsor to help accomplish their goals, so long as the project serves the entire community and is not for the benefit of a privately held business or individual. Projects considered must improve the quality of life for residents of Hankinson and the immediate surrounding area.
Deadline: October 27
How to Apply:
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grants Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund (HCEF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the HCEF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the HCEF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Hankinson Community Endowment Fund committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Amy Stromsodt. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. Amy's cell is 701-741-3193 or you can email her at Amy@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.