About the Glen Ullin Community Foundation
Established through the Ishmael & Rose Diede estate, the Glen Ullin Community Foundation is a permanent endowment fund that will support our community for years to come. Earnings from the fund are given as grants to support nonprofit projects or programs in the Glen Ullin area that work to improve our community and quality of life. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Glen Ullin Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
FUNDING: Committee work is supported by the fund(s) listed to which donors can give and help us in our mission to serve the community.
ENDOWMENT: Is the primary fund, and Qualifies for 40% ND Tax Credit. (click on link for requirements) Roughly 4% of funds are put to work in the community used annually as "grants".
NDCF is the support system for GUCF with over 40 years providing comprehensive charitable services to ND. This includes donor gift planning and bequest planning for individuals, company leaders, families, and non-profits, and fiduciary services such as accounting, audit and money management. This allows local volunteer committees to focus on telling their story of their foundation impact through marketing, granting, and growing the fund.
Local Advisory Committee
Nancy Bittner, Chair
Mary Sibla, Vice-Chair
PO BOX 668
Glen Ullin, ND 58631
QUESTIONS Click here to email committee
NDCF: For anonymous giving, gift planning, or unique asset gifts. contact John Heinen NDCF Western ND Support or call (701) 590-4614
Please find attached various materials which you can download for your own or to pass along to a family member or friend. Help get the word out about the fund, helps the fund grow and serve the community in a bigger way.
COMMUNITY ANNUAL REPORTS
Since the Glen Ullin Area Community Foundation’s inception in 2012 (through an estate gift from Ishmael & Rose Diede), over $58,000 in 53 grants has been awarded. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2022
- Crossroads Golf Association - $1,323.75 for chemical and five sprinkler heads
- Glen Ullin Park Board - $1,323.75 for a wireless speaker system
- GUPPIES - $1,323.75 for summer beautification
- Marian Manor Healthcare Center - $1,323.75 for two Thera-Glide Safety Gliders
- Glen Ullin Senior Citizens Club - $1,000 to replace cement floor in storage room
- West Curlew 22 - $500 for city beautification
Grants Awarded in 2021
- Glen Ullin Senior Citizens Club - $500 to Replace Gutters & Downspouts
- Crossroads Golf Association - $1,508 for Table & Chairs in New Shelter
- Glen Ullin Park Board - $1,507 for Log Cabin Face Lift
- GUPPIES - $1,508 for Flag & Flower Project
- Marian Manor Healthcare Center - $1,000 for BestMove Sand Aid & Walkers
Grants Awarded in 2020
- City of Glen Ullin - $1,152.60 for 2020 Security Upgrade
- Crossroads Golf Association - $1,152.60 for Outdoor Shelter
- Glen Ullin Park Board - $1,152.60 for Grandstand
- Glen Ullin Senior Citizens Club - $1,152.60 to Replace Gutters
- Marian Manor Healthcare Center - $1,152.60 to Purchase Dyn-Ergo Scoot Chair
Grants Awarded in 2019
- Marian Manor Healthcare Center - $871.20 Portable Staircase for Therapy Services
- Best Friends Mentoring Program - $750 School Based Mentoring
- City of Glen Ullin - $871.20 Council Chambers South Windows
- Crossroads Golf Association - $871.20 Community Hall of Fame
- Glen Ullin Fire District - $871.20 Wildland PPE
- Glen Ullin Park Board - $871.20 Baseball Concession Stand
- Glen Ullin Public School - $500 Summer Blast
GRANT APPLICATION ACCEPTED MARCH 1st - MARCH 31th
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grant Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Step 4 -- Bookmark the address so when returning you can easily access. Or access with button above.
- Grants shall be awarded only to those organizations designated by the IRS as 501(c)(3) nonprofit tax exempt groups, or government agencies. Groups without such designation seeking to apply may enlist a fiscal sponsor. Please contact John at NDCF for more information: email@example.com (701) 590-4614.
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations within the Glen Ullin community.
- Grants to religious organizations shall be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- Application forms will be available online at www.NDCF.net/GlenUllin.
- Applications shall be due no later than April 1 of each year. Extensions may be granted at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
- Approved grant requests may be funded in full or partially, at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
- Organizations that serve Youth, Senior Citizens, Leadership, and Community Development
- Projects or programs that benefit a greater number of residents
- Requests for multiple-year funding
- Requests for operating funds or day-to-day expenses
The following will NOT be considered:
- Requests for grants or scholarships for individuals
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Glen Ullin Community Foundation continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the Glen Ullin Community Foundation are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the Glen Ullin Community Foundation. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to Glen Ullin Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner John Heinen. He has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. John's cell is 701-590-4614 or you can email him at John@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Glen Ullin Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Glen Ullin Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.