The Adams County Community Foundation was established by a group of residents concerned about the lack of funding for local organizations. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in Adams County. The fund is a component of the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
TWO FUNDS: Committee work is supported by two funds to help us in our mission to serve the community.
ENDOWMENT: Is the primary fund, and qualifies for 40% ND Tax Credit. (click on link for requirements) Roughly 4% of funds are put to work in the community used annually as "grants."
Non-Endowment PROJECT Fund: Provides immediate grants and funds for marketing launching events. Qualifies as a charitable gift if no benefit is given in return, but NOT for 40% ND income tax credit.
NDCF is the support system for Adams County Community Foundation, with over 40 years providing comprehensive charitable services to ND. This includes donor gift planning and bequest planning for individuals, company leaders, families, and nonprofits, and fiduciary services such as accounting, audit, and money management. This allows local volunteer committees to focus on telling their story of their foundation impact through marketing, granting, and growing the fund.
Cheryl Dix (Vice Chair)
Cody Jorgenson (Chair)
Questions: email@example.com or Cody (701) 567-4511
Adams County Community Foundation
120 South Main St.
PO Box 1323
Hettinger, ND 58639-1323
For anonymous giving, gift planning, or unique asset gifts. contact John Heinen, NDCF Western ND Support or call (701) 590-4614
The Adams County Community Foundation has awarded over $2,000 in five grants since its inception in 2015. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2021
- Adams County Youth Development Foundation - $640 CM Cook Youth Development 4H & FFA Club
- Southwest Dakota Human Service Zone - $420 Council for Boys and Young MenSave & Close
Grants Awarded in 2020: Hettinger Food Pantry - $594 for Emergency Supplies.
Grants Awarded in 2019: Hettinger Golf Association - $463 for Youth Golf Program Scholarships
JUNE 1th to August 31tst
Grants are given yearly, and will fund the most urgent need of that year to the extent funds are available.
ACCF is for general needs of the region with equity around the county as possible. Grants will be awarded to any organizations designated by the IRS as 501(c)3 nonprofit tax exempt groups, or government agencies. Contact the committee at the email below if you need a fiscal sponsor.
The board places emphasis on helping applicants that have limited access to other funding.
Extensions may be granted and additional grant application deadlines may be added at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
Approved grant requests may be funded in full or partially, at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
Requests for projects or programs that serve a greater number of county residents will receive higher priority.
Grants can be made to any entity in the Adams county.
To projects substantially supported by government or which can and should be paid with tax revenue.
Grants to national organizations.
Requests for operating funds or day-to-day expenses.
Grants to religious organizations shall be limited to those activities which are non-sectarian and serve the entire community. ie. food pantry
Requests for grants or scholarships for individuals will NOT be considered.
Grants submitted by organizations who seek to influence legislation, carry on propaganda, participate in political campaigns, or which threaten to cause significant controversy or divisiveness.
Grant Ideas: New Playgrounds, Planting Trees in parks, School Tech needs, Food pantry program, Shelter needs, County projects to improve quality of life, special need in Nursing home or Hospital. Ambulance & Fire needs.
We made it easy for you to apply online for a grant!
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grant Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Adams County Community Foundation (ACCF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to ACCF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to ACCF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to an Adams County Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner John Heinen. He has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. John's cell is 701-590-4614 or you can email him at John@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Adams County Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Adams County Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.