The Kenmare Area Community Foundation was established in 2009 by gifts from the Kenmare Development Corporation and Kenmare Veteran’s Club. It provides a method of receiving donations and distributing grants to benefit projects or nonprofit organizations in the Kenmare area. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The Kenmare Area Community Foundation is managed locally by a group of volunteers whose main activities are building the fund and recommending grants annually.
Ways to Give
You can give by cash, check, stock, partial gift of insurance, real-estate, collections, equipment, or even ag commodities.
Set up a gift in your estate plans. Make a specific, percentage, or residual designation in your will/trust or as a partial beneficiary of a retirement fund or insurance to create a simple legacy gift.
Regardless of the type of gift, requests for anonymity will always be honored. Please contact NDCF directly if you would like to make an anonymous gift.
Growing Our Community
Please consider gifting a portion of your harvest this year (or in the future) to the Kenmare Area Community Foundation. It’s an easy way to support our area’s permanent fund without having to open your checkbook. Plus, you don’t have to claim the income from the sale, and you can still deduct the cost of production for whatever you donate!
Simply fill out the donation card, and give it to your broker, co-op, or elevator. They will take care of the rest, and you will have made a difference, forever, in our community!
For more detailed information about gifting commodities, please read this article written by a retired CPA, farmer, and NDCF Board Member.
If you have questions, please contact Kara Geiger with the North Dakota Community Foundation at 701-222-8349.
Thank you from all of us on the Advisory Committee!
Kenmare Area Community Foundation
PO Box 663
Kenmare, ND 58746
Development Director, NDCF
The Kenmare Area Community Foundation has awarded over $61,000 in 70 grants since its inception in 2009. Recent grant awards are listed below.
Grants Awarded in 2021
- City of Donnybrook - $2,100 for Community Center Sprinkler System
- Kenmare Food Pantry - $2,500 for Beautification Project
- Society of St Stephens Food Pantry - $2,000 for Grocery Items.
- City of Kenmare - $700 for Chair Inventory
Grants Awarded in 2020
- Kenmare City Fire Dept - $1,500 Thermal Imaging Camera
- Kenmare Food Pantry - $1,000 Kenmare Summer Arts
- Society of St. Stephens Food Pantry - $1,000 Restocking Shelves & Freezer
- Tolley Fire Dept - $3,035 E-Dispatch Service
Grants Awarded in 2019
- City of Kenmare - $1,000 Doggy Waste Stations
- Kenmare Park District - $1,690 Downtown Park Square Playground Addition
- Kenmare Wheels and Meals - $1,000 Steam Table
- Society of St. Stephens Food Pantry - $2,000 Backpack Program
- Trailblazers 4H Club - $500 Project Kits for Ward County Achievement Days
- Ward County Public Library, Kenmare Branch - $500 Summer Reading Program
Apply for a Grant from the Kenmare Area Community Foundation
- Grants shall be awarded only to those organizations designated by the IRS Code as 501(c)(3) non-profit tax exempt groups, or government agencies.
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations within Kenmare and surrounding communities, as determined by the Advisory Committee.
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- Applications shall be due by June 15 of each year.
- Projects or programs that benefit a greater number of residents
- Requests that demonstrate applicant will seek or has secured other funding sources
- Requests for operating funds or day-to-day expenses
- Requests for multiple-year funding
Deadline: June 15
How to Apply
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grant Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in our community or for future generations may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help the Kenmare Area Community Foundation (KACF) continue to support important projects and programs in our area forever.
Gifts to the KACF are carefully invested by our partner foundation - the North Dakota Community Foundation - to generate a permanent source of charitable income.
If you have children or other relatives, you can leave a portion of your estate to them and a percentage to the KACF. Doing so provides for your heirs while honoring your charitable values.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Reach out to a Kenmare Area Community Foundation committee member to learn more about the charities and needs in our area.
3. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Kara Geiger. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. You can reach Kara at 701-222-8349 or you can email her at Kara@NDCF.net.
4. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
5. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
6. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.
Language for Your Will or Living Trust
If you would like to include the Kenmare Area Community Foundation in your will, here is some sample language to consider:
“I give and bequeath to the North Dakota Community Foundation (Tax ID Number 45-0336015), a qualified charitable organization under IRS 501(c)(3), located in Bismarck, North Dakota, ___________ (a percentage of the estate, specific dollar amount, or remainder of estate) for the Kenmare Area Community Foundation, a permanent component of the North Dakota Community Foundation.”
* Be sure to contact your legal advisor.
There are many other ways to make a deferred gift to your community, including
- Making NDCF (and your specific community fund) the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, IRA, 401K, or commercial annuity
- Establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity with NDCF
- Other more sophisticated tools, depending on your unique situation
To investigate options and learn more about how other North Dakotans have given back, visit our planned giving website at www.NDCF.net/Plan.