James R. Stephens & Sylvia J. Stephens Foundation (for Garrison)
The James R. Stephens & Sylvia J. Stephens Foundation was established in 2023 by the James and Sylvia Stephens Trust. The Foundation is affiliated with the North Dakota Community Foundation, which is a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation under IRS code 501(c)(3) and North Dakota Law.
The purpose of the fund is to support worthwhile nonprofit organizations and community projects in the Garrison, North Dakota area.
Local Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee meets annually to review grant applications and recommend grants.
Please direct any questions to:
Development Director, NDCF
Guidelines and Procedures
- Organizations must be recognized under IRS code 501(c)(3) to qualify for a grant. Any organization with an official relationship with the city or state government (school, park district, etc.) would also qualify. Groups that do not have either designation can enlist a fiscal sponsor. (Call NDCF for details)
- Grants shall be awarded to organizations that serve the Garrison area.
- Grants for multi-year requests (pledges) will not be made, however, an organization may re-apply for a grant each year, provided all previous grant reporting was completed.
- Grants to religious organizations will be limited to those activities which are non-denominational and serve the entire community.
- No grants shall be made to individuals.
Deadline: September 15
How to Apply
Step 1 - Review
Review the grant guidelines above to make sure your organization qualifies.
Step 2 - Register
Create an account on our Grant Portal. You will need your organization’s name, EIN, and executive officer's name. Be sure to write down your user name (email address) and password.
Step 3 – Complete Your Application
After registering or logging in, you will arrive at the application section. Click “Apply” to the right of the grant program to which you wish to apply. If you do not see your desired grant program on the list, contact our office. You will be able to save your application and return later to complete it.
Plan Your Legacy
Making a lasting difference in your community - just as James & Sylvia Stephens - may be easier than you realize. With very simple language in your will or trust, you can help your community support important projects and programs forever.
You can create your own family foundation with North Dakota Community Foundation today, or you can leave a portion of your estate to North Dakota Community Foundation to carry out your wishes and honor your values after you pass away.
1. Download our free Estate Planning Guide - it contains helpful information and things to consider as you develop your own unique plan.
2. Consider discussing (confidentially) your vision with our NDCF gift planner Kara Geiger. She has many years of experience helping donors create their charitable vision and better prepare for their discussions with financial planners. You can reach Kara at 701-222-8349 or you can email her at Kara@NDCF.net.
3. Contact your professional advisors (financial planner, attorney and/or accountant) and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift to our foundation.
4. Make sure your will or living trust is up-to-date and reflects your charitable goals.
5. Consider notifying the charitable organizations about the gift you plan to leave them. They will appreciate your generosity and will want to know what you’d like them to do with your eventual gift if it isn't clear.